This project consisted of work on two existing buildings and an additional new build within the church grounds. The challenge was to create a secure environment for the church community centre to operate and a 'hub' for the congregation to gather both before and after Service.
To do this, the new building was placed between the existing heritage protected 1923 Victorian Church and the 1960’s mansard roofed community centre. Linking them together, creating a unified presence.
Both the existing buildings were very worn down and cold - in a thermal and metaphorical sense. By lowering the church floor and opening up the rear of the church we were able to create a lighter warmer feel to the church. The north wall was replaced with a new stained glass window where a number of local glass artists were commissioned to create a 'burning bush motif'. The window is protected by a large corten steel screen that is able to be closed off to protect the window when not in use.
The community centre was also reconfigured from scratch and now enjoys a more open modern and more inviting feel.